Wednesday, December 02, 2009

First Wednesday of Advent

Please read Luke 1:68-79

each morning when i
let the dog out, fear
hands me the morning paper,
eager to spend the
rest of the day with me;
several times a week,
i get a fax or voicemail,
reminding me
of the times and locations of
failures anonymous;
wrap it in fancy sounding words -
outsourcing, downsizing,
restructuring, pinkslipping -
rejection is the gift
that seems to keep
on giving;

with such a toxic environment,
is it any wonder i forget
who i started out to be,
who i long to be?

yet
you single me out,
pulling me close
in a great bear hug;
you whisper of your grace
through the mouths
of children singing
so sweet and clear
on the corner;
you swaddle all my gifts
in compassion,
hope's bright ribbon
tightly curled on top:
for
you remembered,
you will remember.

so come,
Benedictus,
come.

(c) 2009 Thom M. Shuman

No comments: