Thursday, March 07, 2013

jitters

The LORD is my light and my
              salvation;
      whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold
             of my life;
      of whom shall I be afraid?

                    Psalm 27:1
- - - -

each morning,
as i walk out the door,
i double-check to see
if any of the
little Panics
from down the street
are hiding in the bushes,
ready to jump out shouting BOO!
while you patiently sit in the car,
the motor idling gently,
waiting to ride shotgun down
to the office;

after going through the house
shutting tight the windows,
dead-bolting the doors,
the qualms start scratching
at the windows, and there is
the soft tap-tapping at the door
as if an old friend
wants to be let in,
so you nudge me upstairs, saying,
"I'll see who it is."

turning out the lights and climbing
into bed,
i feel the cold sweats down
by my feet,
the bete noires whispering under
the bed, 'he won't sleep tonight,'
Clan Phobia setting up the
table for an all-night poker game
with my hopes as chips,
then you come in, turning on the
nightLight,
handing me a glass of warm milk,
and settling into the rocker,
you read me the Story
until i fall asleep

© 2013 Thom M. Shuman

No comments: