Sunday, October 06, 2024

October 6th

“How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?
   How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I bear pain in my soul,
   and have sorrow in my heart all day long?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?” Psalm 13:1-2

the people with the microphones
in their hands and cameras over
their shoulders want stories of resilience
while all many are trying to do
is find makeshift bandages for
their broken spirits.
Appalachia Strong, Boston Strong,
Manchester Strong all sound wonderful
in memes, on media, in songs, but
where is the sign which says,
‘shattered into tiny pieces and we
can’t even make a mosaic of hope.’
the pushers of platitudes talk about
‘we are at our best when the worst happens’
or
‘folks will rise like phoenixes from
this terrible moment,’
but they are not the ones
standing in ashes up to their hearts.
why is it, that in the most
excruciating grief for so many
the world (even those of faith)
seems to send the message
‘no laments allowed.'

(c) 2024 Thom M. Shuman

Venmo: @Thom-Shuman

No comments: