Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Veni Sancte Spiritus

I have to admit that I have never had any tongues of fire dancing on my head. Though, come to think of it, there was that time when I was in children's choir at the Christmas Eve service, and the lighted candle in the hand of the little girl behind me got too close to the hair on the back of my head! (But I am not sure if that counts).

I don't recall my folks mentioning anything about a white dove appearing at my baptism and a voice speaking from heaven.

Even though there were several wild geese flying over me on this morning's walk, I apparently don't have the spiritual gift to discern what they were saying.

But, there are those times when Paisley curls up in my lap after a long day, and starts purring, and I feel the healing presence of the Comforter.

In the middle of the night, when I hear Bonnie softly breathing next to me, I am filled with a Peace that is impossible to describe.

And this morning, like every morning, the Holy Spirit bounded up onto the bed and started licking my face, saying, "Come on; get up, lazy bones! Let's go see what God has in store for us today!"

Come, Holy Spirit, come!

(c) 2005 Thom M. Shuman

No comments: