Saturday, November 02, 2019

defuncts’ day


“After this I looked, and there was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, robed in white, with palm branches in their hands.” Revelation 7:9

i open a book, and
my mother is at my side,
tracing her finger under the words;
i hear a certain song
and that college custodian
has picked up a friend’s guitar
and plays ‘Wildwood Flower;”
i see a group of folks
standing up for the voiceless,
the forgotten, the demeaned,
and there is Robert in their midst;
out of the corner of my eye,
just out of reach of my hand,
whispering to my parched soul
when i most need a drink of hope:

that multitude of souls
who are still with me
even now, ever now

© 2019 Thom M. Shuman

No comments: