Thursday, July 11, 2024

July 11th

"What shall I return to the Lord 
    for all his bounty to me?" Psalm 116:12

when, at the last, 
i stand before you
may i have no love left
because i shared it 
without any conditions,
no grace in my pockets
because i handed it out
to those i met along the way,
no hope tucked away in my soul
because i set it free to run
and throw its arms around
those forgotten by the world,
no justice left in my hands
because i used it to build
better communities for all
judged unfairly by the privileged,
no peace because there were
people who needed it to bring
an end to ancient hostilities,
no ego because i met those
who set aside their dreams
to care for the most vulnerable
of all your children rather 
than serve themselves.

(c) 2024 Thom M. Shuman

Venmo: @Thom-Shuman
 

No comments: