Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Fourth Wednesday of Advent

Please read Psalm 139:1-18

not a problem!
i am doing great!
everything is smashing!
life is just one ! after another !
count on it!

yet,
in the night,
when the shadows creak
across the floor
and the ice pelts the windows
like fingernails tap
tap, tapping,
those pesky ?s
reach out from
under the bed
pulling the warm comfort
off of me;

i've pulled myself
up by the flip flops,
i've climbed the highest
obstacles,
i've faced down every
one who got in my way,
i've won the race
fini
end of story
.

but sometimes
life comes to a full
stop,
the glyphs mount up
diacritically
spacing my life out
until there seems
to be no space left
for me to breathe . . .

so come,
Ink Slinger,
your fingers smudged
for all time
as you write our names
in your book.

(c) 2009 Thom M. Shuman


No comments: