Friday, March 04, 2022

First Thursday in Lent

'The LORD is my light and my
        salvation;
   whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of
      my life;
   of whom shall I be afraid?' Psalm 27:1


they are busy these days:
all the power hungry,
the nuclear weapon rattlers,
the greedy who want more and more,
the essentials of life that
keep rising in prices,
the false prophets who offer
moldy bread and cups of tears

they scratch against the window
as we try to fall asleep,
they push aside the dust bunnies
as the wiggle under the bed
waiting to jump out at 3 a.m.
they rustle the clothes
in our closets with whispers
of worries and fears.

but you are outside
in the cold driving rain
trimming their branches
you are running the dry mop
over the floors and shaking
them out into the bin,
you are sitting in front
of the closet, the Spirit
as our night light, so

we can sleep
unafraid

© 2022 Thom M. Shuman

No comments: