Sunday, March 03, 2013

dry

O God, you are my God, I seek you,
    my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
    as in a dry and weary land where
       there is no water.
So I have looked upon you in the
       sanctuary,
    beholding your power and glory.
Because your steadfast love is better
       than life,
    my lips will praise you.
So I will bless you as long as I live;
    I will lift up my hands and call on
       your name.
My soul is satisfied as with
    a rich feast,
and my mouth praises you with
    joyful lips
when I think of you on my bed,
    and meditate on you in the
       watches of the night;
for you have been my help,
    and in the shadow of your wings I
       sing for joy.
My soul clings to you;
    your right hand upholds me.
(Palm 63:1-8)

Imagine your throat so dry it aches with tightness; your tongue searches for moisture in your mouth, but it only finds dust; you turn on the faucet - but only ashes come out; all the water bottles are empty, bone dry.

Now, be honest, would you go to the sanctuary of the church looking for relief? Why not? Or would you go into that seemingly empty place; why?

What does your soul look like? Does it resemble Casper the Friendly Ghost, or a mist over the lake, or a shadow on the wall?  What if it was like plastic wrap, able to cling so tightly to God, that you were never parted from God? Can you imagine that, right now?

Tonight as you lay down to sleep, the light turned out, the covers warming you, the pillow cradling your head - what will you think about? The potholes of life you bumped over today? The fears that lurk in the dawn's light? Why not meditate on God with the following prayer:

I will lie down this night with God,
    and God will lie down with me;
I will lie down this night with Christ,
    and Christ will lie down with me;
I will lie down this night with the Spirit,
    and the Spirit will lie down with me.
God, Christ, and the Spirit be lying down with me this night.

© 2013 Thom M. Shuman

No comments: