Monday, March 11, 2013

nocturnal lachrymation

I am weary with my
         moaning;
    every night I flood my bed
         with tears;
    I drench by couch with
         my weeping.
My eyes waste away because
         of grief.
     Psalm 6:6-7a
- - - - -

pulling off the soaked
          sheets, i put them
          in the basket, walking
             down and loading them
             into the washer, carrying
   up a fresh, dry set to put
   on the bed,
                     ready to catch
                     my tears

for those who hunger,
   and for those who believe
                     their pantries do not
                     hold enough to feed
       five thousand;

for those whose grief
                   seems to stretch out
                                     forever,
     and those who too
                                      tough
                      to display emotion;

for those whose homes
          are filled with cold
                          hearts,
       and those whose
                           hearts yearn
            for a roof over the heads
                      of their families;

for those who believe
                      might is always
                      right,
    and those who see God
         in everyone labeled
                  'enemy.'

© 2013 Thom M. Shuman

No comments: