Friday, September 01, 2023

night prayer

"O LORD, God of my salvation, 
    when, at night, I cry out in your presence,
let my prayer come before you;
   incline your ear to my cry."  Psalm 88:1-2

it is in the shadows
creeping across the lawn
that i find the silence
in which i can offer you
all that brokenness
i could not reveal to 
anyone during the day.
it is in the gathering evening
that i can take off that 
confident face and show you
the tear-stained wrinkles
and still that bold, confident
voice so you can hear 
the cracks in my whispers.
it is when i lie on my bed
surrounded by all the ghosts
of the stuffed animals which
protected me for so, so long
that i can hang my mature,
adult self in the closet, as 
i long to curl up in your lap
as you sing lullabies to me
all night long, if needed.

(c) 2023 Thom M. Shuman

Venmo: @Thom-Shuman

No comments: