Friday, August 25, 2023

Barzillai

"But Barzillai said to the king, 'How many years have I still to live, that I should go up with the king to Jerusalem? Today I am eighty years old; can I discern what is pleasant and what is not? Can your servant taste what he eats or what he drinks? Can I still listen to the voice of singing men and singing women? Why then should your servant be an added burden to my lord the king?'" 2nd Samuel 19:34-35

there may come that
day when food seems 
too bland to enjoy, so continue
to give me the manna of grace.
there may come that 
morning when the sweet tea
tastes like tap water, but
i hope you will still hold
the cup of hope to my lips.
there may come that evening
when the songs of my memory
can only be heard in the voices
of those learning them for the first time.
but until then,
may i remember that 
you never see me as a burden
but a blessing held in your heart.

(c) 2023 Thom M; Shuman
Venmo @Thom-Shuman

No comments: