Thursday, August 10, 2023

out of Sheol

"The snares of death encompassed me; 
the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me;
I suffered distress and anguish." Psalm 116:3

i was lonely
and you could have
let me tag along by your side.
but you nudged me 
to take one hesitant step
then a more hopeful one,
unclenching my hands 
to reach out to those
even lonelier, to form a community.

i was broken
and you might have sent
all your angels and archangels
to put me back together
and set me back on my wall.
but you let the hurts of others
seep in through the cracks
of my heart like morning light
so together we could become
stained glass windows of healing.

i could not find the words
to tell others of what was
going on inside, the struggles,
the fears, the worries all
swirling together,
and you could have handed
me a dictionary or thesaurus.
but you put a a pad on my lap 
and a pen in my hand, and whispered,
'dip it in the cauldron of your soul
and begin to write, simply write.'

(c) 2023 Thom M. Shuman





No comments: