Thursday, November 09, 2023

pure, sweet love

"Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this:
   that power belongs to God,
and steadfast love belongs to you, O Lord."  Psalm 62:11-12a

once, so long ago
i wonder if i remember correctly,
a voice told me you were
nothing
but pure, sweet love.
then,
other voices surrounded me
strident, overbearing, overwhelming
with accusations of your anger,
of how you couldn't wait
to punish me simply for my thoughts,
how you would dangle me
like a fish on a hook and line
over hellfire, all the while smiling,
so,
whisper once again 
reminding me (and all of us)
of that pure, sweet love
which belongs to you, yet
you willingly give to us.
that pure, sweet love
strong enough to become weak,
wise enough to relinquish grudges,
compassionate enough to forgive.

(c) 2023 Thom M. Shuman

Venmo: @Thom-Shuman 

No comments: