Friday, February 16, 2024

First Friday in Lent

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? 
    Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning?
O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer;
    and by night, but find no rest." Psalm 22:2

this is why Lent has
so little appeal for so many.
the sense that not only
are we asked to give up
those things which give us pleasure,
but the worry that you have
given us up in this season.
the fear that when we reach
out our hands, no one takes them,
and our whispers of anguish
just float in the air until the
pop like children's bubbles.
the uncertainty of whether 
or not we will be comforted
in your arms of grace at night
or just left to curl up on
the hardwood floor of our loneliness.

this is why Lent has
so little appeal for so many,
because the feelings are not
so different from ordinary days.

(c) 2024 Thom M. Shuman

Venmo: @Thom-Shuman

No comments: