Tuesday, August 13, 2024

August 13th

"Why are you cast down, O my soul,
   and why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
   my help and my God." Psalm 42:11

when my soul has 
been ripped apart by sorrow,
may i use the pieces
to create a quilt which
will wrap another in hope.
when i find only emptiness
deep within me because of
all the doubts and questions
which have become my diet,
may i use the silence to compose
gentle songs of thanksgiving.
when i can barely get out of bed,
when i need a device to help
me make a journey i know by heart,
when i can no longer seem 
to come up with the words 
of love and grace i could offer,
when my body seems to have taken
a sharp turn in a direction 
which fills me with fears,
may i use the difficulty before me
to discover the new life which
you are waiting for me to live.

(c) 2024 Thom M. Shuman

Venmo: @Thom-Shuman

No comments: