Friday, August 30, 2024

August 30th

"'If he would take his rod away from me, and not let dread of him terrify me, then I would speak without fear of him, for I know I am not what I am thought to be.'" Job 9:34-35

it was not out of faith
i began to follow you
but out of pure fear, that
all those terrible things 
dumped on me by folks
who crafted you out of the 
monsters of their own ids
and the preachers who were
simply echoing what they heard
sitting on those same hard pews
which became warmer with every word.
they still show up in the moments
when i wake up to stare into 
the shadowed future i cannot see,
those ghosts of worship past,
walking, watching, whispering.
but then,
i glance over into into the corner
and notice that rod which a young
carpenter recrafted into a yoke
so we could journey together, 
i see you sitting in the corner
draped in the warm shawl of grace
knitted by your gentle Spirit, just
waiting for me to listen to your
deepest hopes for me.

(c) 2024 Thom M. Shuman

Venmo: @Thom-Shuman


No comments: