Thursday, August 01, 2024

August 1st

   "I hear a voice I had not known:
'I relieved your shoulder of the burden;
    your hands were freed from the basket.
In distress you called, and I rescued you;
   I answered you in the secret place of thunder;
   I tested you at the waters of Meribah'" Psalm 81:6-7

our muscles are knotted so tight
that simply taking a breath 
causes us to whimper in pain
until you lean over and gently
begin to massage our shoulders
while talking of the exercises
we might try on our own, using
the bands of cloth left over
from that night in Bethlehem as aids.
we hear the thunder of angry voices
all around us, crashing down and
trying to drown out the whispers
of grace and love, until in the silence
after the voices run out of steam,
come those gentle melodies 
you first taught to the songbirds
to share with us, until we learned
them by heart.

(c) 2024 Thom M. Shuman

Venmo: @Thom-Shuman

No comments: