Friday, August 16, 2024

August 16th

"For I know my transgressions, 
   and my sin is ever before me." Psalm 51:3

i wish someone had
told me that, in this long
journey to obedience, that
the Big Seven would prove
to be the least of my worries.
for feeding on bitterness
is far more life-threatening
than mere gluttony,
wishing that someone would
just disappear from existence
outdistances any envy,
wanting to become 
an influencer in the lives
of others delights more than
sexual thought or hope,
knowing that i am smarter
than any fifth-grader or
game show contestant
offers the deepest satisfaction,
sitting back and watching while
others dare to challenge the powers 
of evil and hate and then telling them
where they messed up is restful,
continuing to do cannonballs
into the deep and delicious pool
filled with snark and disingenuous
denials of hurting anyone's feelings
is a daily delight,
and simply parading my extravagant
lifestyle (compared to most of the
rest of the world) without any modesty
are what continue to pull me
further and further from grace's arms.

(c) 2024 Thom M. Shuman

Venmo: @Thom-Shuman


No comments: