Wednesday, August 21, 2024

August 21st

"Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness
   because of my enemies;
  make your way straight before me.
For there is no truth in their mouths;
   their hearts are destruction;
their throats are open graves;
   they flatter with their tongues." Psalm 5:8-9

i admit it, God of my life,
they are like those Sirens
of old, standing on their porches,
their platforms, their religion,
calling out to me as i continue
this pilgrimage through life.
they know that their honeyed
whispers tickle my soul and
make me want to hear more of
such sweet nothings,
they desire only to swallow
my weary heart and then
spit out my life stripped 
bare of love, of grace, of trust
onto the piles of the bones
of the rest of their victims.
so, lash me to you with 
those swaddling cloths of hope,
press your hands tight
around my ears so i will not
hear a single tempting note
and guide me to your 
safe haven of peace.

(c) 2024 Thom M. Shuman

Venmo: @Thom-Shuman

No comments: