Saturday, August 31, 2024

August 31st

"'Why did you bring me forth from the womb? Would that I had died before any eye had seen me,'" Job 10:18

if you think i am good at complaining,
it's because i learned from the best.
those ancestors whose photos have
faded over the years until they look
like the dirt of Sinai they carried on
their sandals and clothes for decades.
it's from listening to the stories 
that the disciples forgot to redact
from the good news books 
they were so quick to self-publish,
with those clueless comments 
when they couldn't understand 
those simple, everyday stories you told,
or those knuckleheaded challenges
they threw in your face when you
let slip that your journey was going
to end with you crossing over into
a different sort of promised land.
so,
when i whine (and i will)
when i grumble (too many times)
when i murmur under my breath
thinking you can't read my lips,
be as patient, as forgiving,
as willing to stick with me 
like you were with all those 
whose words i am just repeating
(even though i think they are brand new).

(c) 2024 Thom M. Shuman

Venmo: @Thom-Shuman


No comments: